Sandusky County, OHGenWeb

Home | Archives | Biographies | Cemeteries | Census | Cities & Towns | Funeral Homes | History | Libraries & Societies | Maps | Military | Townships | Vital Records
County Coordinator:
Denise Wells
State Coordinator:
Dale Grimm

The below biographies are from Chapter XXIII, History of Sandusky County, Ohio, by H. Z. Williams & Bro.; Everett, Homer (c) 1882

EARLY RESIDENT MEMBERS OF THE BAR.   (the below has been entered here in alphabetical order)

William Aunesly was a graduate of Oberlin College; studied law many years ago with Buckland & Everett and was admitted to the Bar in Sandusky county, and after a short term of practice here he removed to Port Clinton, Ottawa county. He was elected prosecuting attorney of that county, and after acquiring considerable reputation and a remunerative practice he died in the prime of manhood.  p. 391

William W. Ainger located in Sandusky county for the practice of law about 1837, having come from the Western Reserve. He married, in Fremont, the daughter of Dr. Daniel Brainard. After practicing for a few years he removed to Chagrin Falls, where he died years ago.  p. 391

Marcus D. Baldwin was born at Fremont, Ohio, on the 25th day of September, 185 I. He received his early education at Toledo, Ohio, finishing a course at Oberlin, attending the latter 
institution about four years. He commenced reading law at Toledo, Ohio, borrowing the books he read from Messrs. Dunlap and M. R. Waite. He subsequently was located at Green 
Spring, Ohio, and while there read law under the tuition of Hon. T. P. Finefrock, of Fremont, Ohio. He was admitted to practice at Fremont by the district court on the ist day of March, 
1874, and began practice at Green Spring, May 1, 1874. He subsequently removed to Fremont and opened a law office. He was chosen city solicitor for the city of Fremont soon after 
settling in the city, and satisfactorily discharged the duties of that office for several years. At this writing (May 1, 1881) Mr. Baldwin. is still in practice, doing quite a successful business 
as an attorney, and dealing in real estate, but contemplates a removal to Shelby, Ohio. At one period Mr. Baldwin resided and taught school at Mitchell, Indiana. On the 31st. day of 
October, 1874, he was married at Shelby, Ohio, to Sarah S. Rogers, by whom he has two living children, having lost one.  p. 387-388

Brice J. Bartlett, son of Samuel and Elizabeth Bartlett, was born in the county of Lincoln, State of Maine, on the 2ist day of September, 1808. His father, Samuel, with his family, emigrated to Ohio in 1824, and settled in Hamilton county, near Cincinnati, where he resided until November, 1824, when he moved and settled in Seneca county. Young Bartlett was in early life apprenticed to the trade of cabinet-making. He was married in 1829 to Phebe Ellis, and moved to Lower Sandusky, now Fremont, in the fall of 1833. The next year, upon the breaking out of the cholera, he moved his family to Seneca county, and returned himself and rendered assistance. Upon moving to Lower Sandusky he for a time followed the business of painting, and afterwards watch repairing, and then engaged as clerk for Andrew Monhuse, in the grocery business. He commenced reading law in April, 1838, and in July, 1840, was admitted to practice. In September, 1841, he formed a partnership with Hon. L. B. Otis, afterwards judge of common pleas, which partnership was dissolved in May, 1842. In 1843 he formed a partnership with Hon. J. L. Green, afterwards judge of common pleas, and continued to October, 1845, when he formed a partnership with Charles Edylin, which was dissolved in August, 1846. In 1848 he formed a partnership with S. N. Wilcox, and afterward, in August, 1851, with Hon. T. P. Finefrock, afterwards judge. In 1853 he formed a partnership with his son, and his health failing he retired from practice in July, 1854. His health afterwards improved, and in July, 1855, he resumed practice in partnership with his son, Joseph R. Bartlett, under the firm name of B. J. Bartlett & Son, and continued in practice until March 23, 1859, at which time he died from pneumonia, resulting from a cold contracted at the March term of Sandusky common pleas.  p. 396

Joseph R. Bartlett, one of the most popular attorneys at the Bar of Sandusky county, was born in the county of Seneca on the :6th day of July, 1830, and came to Lower Sandusky with his father, Brice J. Bartlett, in the fall of 1833. Young Bartlett received his education in the public schools of Lower Sandusky and Fremont. He studied law with his father and was admitted to practice in 1853. He began practice with his father. Joseph R. at first rather discouraged his father by a want of enthusiasm in the practice of his profession, but as time passed and he awoke to the responsibilities of life which were thrown upon him by his father's death, he devoted himself intently to study and practice. He has steadily advanced in practice and knowledge of the law, until there are few, if any, superior to him now in the management and trial of causes at the Bar of the county. Mr. Bartlett has continuously practiced law since his admission to the Bar, excepting the time spent in the service of his country in the war for the suppression of the Southern Rebellion, in which he was distinguished for bravery and efficiency in connection with the Forty-ninth regiment, and for a more complete notice of the military services of Colonel Bartlett the reader is referred to the history of the Forty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry in another part of this history. Mr. Bartlett was married many years ago to Miss Rachel Mitchner, but has no children living, having lost by death a few years ago a daughter who was one of the brightest and most promising young ladies in Fremont.  p. 395-396

Charles F. Bell was born at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on the 15th day of November, 1856. He came to Fremont with his parents about 1864, and attended common schools for a time, then took a course of study at Hellmouth college, in London, Province of Ontario. Besides these opportunities for acquiring an education, Mr. Bell was placed under the private tuition of the Rev. Richard L. Chittenden, pastor of St. Paul's church, Fremont, Ohio, who faithfully and successfully taught him in Latin, mathematics, and in fact, all the branches generally taught in institutions of learning in this country. He studied law with Everett & Fowler two years, and was admitted to the Bar by the district court of Sandusky county, on the 19th day of March, 1878. After his admission young Bell continued to read in the office of Bartlett & Finefrock until Judge Thomas P. Finefrock left the bench and returned to practice. Mr. Bell then formed a partnership with the judge, and is still in practice with him at Fremont, with influential friends to help him on. No doubt Mr. Bell, with time and experience, will develop into a popular and successful practitioner. A few years ago he married the daughter of one of Fremont's prominent citizens, H. R. Shomo, esq.  p. 395

Horace Stephen Buckland was born in Fremont on the 21st day of April, 1851. He is the son of R. P. and Charlotte (Boughton) Buckland. In early boyhood he attended the common schools of Fremont. For a time he attended the preparatory school at Gambier, Ohio, and afterwards a like school at East Hampton, Massachusetts. He then entered Cornell college. New York, and after remaining there about one year returned to Fremont and studied law in the office of Buckland & Everett about one year and a half. He then attended the law department of Harvard college about a year, when he returned to Fremont and read law for a short time with Everett & Fowler. In September, 1875, he was admitted to the Bar after a close examination by a committee appointed by the district court at Elyria, Ohio. Upon his admission Mr. Buckland at once formed a partnership with his father, General Ralph P. Buckland, in the practice of law, in which he is still engaged. Horace Buckland is a promising young member of the Bar, of peculiarly exemplary life and conduct, and already begins to develop those qualities of mind and habits of industry which will surely place him high in his profession. Mr. Buckland was married to Eliza C. Bowman, on the 10th day of June, 1878, with whom he is still living in Fremont.  p. 393

Ralph P. Buckland's history is so fully written in other parts of this work that our notice of him as a lawyer may be made brief without doing him injustice. We will, therefore but briefly 
sketch the life of this distinguished citizen in its connection with the practice of the law. He came to Lower Sandusky in the summer of 1837, and commenced the practice of the law. He 
has frequently told the writer that when he arrived at Lower Sandusky to commence the practice of his profession he was without means, and his only monetary resources were 
seventy-five cents, which he brought with him in his pockets. His subsequent success, and the eminent character he achieved, stands as a monument to his industry and integrity, as 
well as an enduring encouragement to all young members of the profession that by imitating his noble and virtuous example they may succeed in life. We commend the life of General 
Buckland, as given in another chapter, to the reading and consideration of all into whose hands this work may come. General Buckland is now engaged in practice in partnership with his 
son, Horace S. Buckland, and Wilbur Zeigler, and is the only lawyer now in practice who practiced in Fremont before 1840, and is also the oldest member of the bar in the county, both in 
years and in practice. p. 380-381
George W. Click and Charles S. Glick for some time practiced law at Fremont. Both removed to Kansas, and practiced there for some time. Charles S. died there several years ago. George W. 
is still living at Atchison, Kansas. He has been a member of the State legislature, was a centennial commissioner, and is a man of considerable local influence. p. 391
J. W. Cummings is now a resident of Green Spring. He was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1836, and in 1838 removed with his parents to Lagrange county, Indiana, where he resided 
until 1864. He was educated at Ontario Academy, Indiana, and Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, Michigan. Mr. Cummings studied law at Lagrange, Indiana, and was admitted to the Bar 
there in the year 1860. He was elected to, and held the office of district prosecuting attorney for the five northeastern counties of the State; was afterwards a candidate for circuit prosecuting 
attorney for the circuit composed of the ten counties in the northwestern part of the State. This candidacy was in 1864, and Mr. Cummings was not elected. In 1864 he went to Washington, 
and there held a position in the land office until 1866, when he left Washington and located at Toledo, Ohio, and resumed there the practice of the law. Here Mr. Cummings' merits and talents 
soon gave him prominence, and he held public office several terms. He in the meantime married a daughter of the late Robert Smith, of Green Spring, and in 1876 retired from the practice of 
the law and engaged in other business. 

While Mr. Cummings was engaged in practice at Toledo he was frequently seen attending to business in the courts of Sandusky county. He always commanded the close attention of Court 
and Bar wherever he appeared. He was made administrator of his father-in-law's estate, and the large amount of property and the widely extended business thus thrown on Mr. Cummings' 
care and management, together with the fact that he has a large share of this world's goods, will probably prevent a good lawyer and admirable man from returning to the drudgery of practice.  
p. 384-385 
Thomas P. Dewey, now residing at Clyde, Ohio, was born on the 27th day of December, 1852, in Crawford county. State of Pennsylvania, and was educated at the common schools, 
mainly at Kelloggsville, Ashtabula county, Ohio. He commenced reading law at Painesville, Ohio, with Tinker & Alvord in the spring of 1876, came to Clyde in the spring of 1877, and 
finished his course of legal study in the office of Lemmon, Finch & Lemmon at that place, reading there until 1879. He was admitted to the Bar April 27, 1879, and commenced practice in 
Tiffin, Ohio, in September following. He, however, returned to Clyde, and is now practicing. Mr. Dewey was married on the 9th day of September, 1879, to Miss Jennie Stilwell. He is a young 
man of good faculties, and no doubt will in time make a successful lawyer. p. 388

Edward F. Dickinson, son of Rodolphus Dickinson, was educated at Cincinnati and was admitted to the Bar at an early age. He was a bright scholar and well qualified for the profession. He is a man of talent, but has never devoted himself arduously to the profession. He was prosecuting attorney for two terms, beginning in 1852. He was elected probate judge in 1866 and served three years. While in this office he was elected to Congress in 1868. He represented this district in Congress one term. He has also been mayor of the city.   p. 392

Rodolphus Dickinson was in order of time probably the fourth resident lawyer who settled in Lower Sandusky. There are better means at hand to furnish a history of Mr. Dickinson than 
of those who preceded him. From these sources of information we gather and place in this work the following facts concerning him and his career: 

Rodolphus Dickinson was born in the State of Massachusetts, December 28, 1797. He graduated at Williams College and soon thereafter repaired to Columbus, Ohio, where he taught 
school for a time. He then entered upon the study of the law with Gustavus Swan, of that city. After completing his studies and after being admitted to the bar, Mr. Dickinson removed to Tiffin, 
the county seat of the then new county of Seneca. Here he commenced the practice of the legal profession, and was appointed prosecuting attorney of that county at the first term of the court 
of common pleas held. In 1826 he removed to Lower Sandusky (now Fremont) and in the following year was married to Miss Margaret Beaugrand, daughter of John B. Beaugrand, one of the 
early settlers in Lower Sandusky. He was for a time prosecuting attorney for Sandusky, and soon gathered a profitable practice. He continued in practice for several years, but like many other 
lawyers was eventually called into the arena of political and party contention. Here Mr. Dickinson displayed all the qualities necessary to a politician without the sacrifice of integrity. In the 
schemes for the early public works and finances of the State he became, and was for several years, the master mind. The Wabash & Erie Canal and the Maumee & Western Reserve road are 
monuments of his ability and energy. He was a member of the Board of Public Works of the State from the year 1836 to the year 1845, which dates include an era of financial embarassment 
the most severe ever known in the State. Mr. Dickinson's influence with the Board of Fund Commissioners of the State and with the State Legislature was generally potential, and during a series 
of years when the credit of the State was so prostrated that the bonds sold as low as fifty cents on the dollar (the proceeds of sale being realized in the paper of suspended banks, which was 
depreciated ten or twelve per cent.), his prudent counsels contributed largely to save the prosecution of the public works from indefinite suspension. In 1846 Mr. Dickinson was elected to 
Congress, and re-elected in 1848. He died in Washington city soon after his re-election, and on the 20th of March, 1849. 

Mr. Dickinson, for his private virtues and his public services, is still held in grateful remembrance by the people not only oi Sandusky county but throughout Northwestern Ohio.  p. 379-380
Benjamin F. Drake was the first lawyer who settled in Lower Sandusky. He came there in 1817, and was for a time clerk of the court of common pleas, but resigned his office and 
removed to Delaware county, probably in 1823. Nothing further of his history or fate can now be obtained for record. p. 378
Byron R. Dudrow was born in Adams township, Seneca county, Ohio, on the 1st day of March, 1855. He was educated at Baldwin University, Berea, Ohio, from which institution he received 
the degree of Master of Arts. He commenced the study of law in the office of Basil Meek, at Clyde, Ohio, on the 18th day of June, 1877. On the 26th day of April, 1879, he was admitted to 
the Bar by the district court of the county. He did not, however, at once enter into active practice. He served as deputy county clerk from the time of his admission to the Bar until April 26, 
1880, at which time he commenced practice in Fremont. On the 22d day of November, 1878, he was married to Miss Mary E. Meek, daughter of Basil Meek, who is now the popular clerk of 
Sandusky county. Mr. Dudrow is a promising young member at the Bar, and with his excellent habits and genial good manners will probably attain a high professional standing. He is now, by 
election, the city solicitor of the city of Fremont, and is to all appearance on the road to prosperity in his profession.  p. 388
Nathaniel B. Eddy, a native of the State of New York, came to Lower Sandusky and commenced the practice of the law sometime about the year 1839. Mr. Eddy was well educated and 
had thoroughly studied his profession. His brother, Azariah, had settled in Lower Sandusky previously, and at the time mentioned was, perhaps, the leading merchant of the town. His 
influence at once helped his young lawyer brother into practice and into social standing in the community. Mr. Eddy practiced successfully alone for about two years. Homer Everett had for 
some years been studying law at leisure times, and was then sheriff of the county. In December, 1842, Mr. Eddy persuaded Everett that he was qualified to be admitted to the Bar, and 
proposed that if he would do so, he would accept him as a partner in the business on equal terms. Mr. Everett at once travelled to Columbus and was there, after due examination, found 
qualified, and admitted to practice in all the courts of the State. After returning from Columbus he at once resigned the office of sheriff, which had some months to run, and entered into 
partnership, under the firm name of Eddy & Everett. This firm continued a prosperous business until some time in 1844 or 1845, when Mr. Eddy was seized with a desire to become suddenly 
rich, and entered into mercantile business with Frederick Wilkes, his brother-in-law. The firm of Eddy & Wilkes occupied a store near the law office used by Eddy & Everett. On the retirement 
of Mr. Eddy from practice, Lucas B. Otis and Homer Everett formed a partnership, and did a successful business as lawyers until the close of the year 1847, when Mr. Everett retired from 
practice and settled on his farm on the Sandusky River, about five miles below town. 

Mr. Eddy closed up his business a few years after, and moved to Madison, Wisconsin. There he was chosen county judge, and held the office many years, and died in the capital of his 
last adopted State. p. 384
F. R. Fbonizer was born October 15, 1852, at the city of Buffalo, New York, and emigrated to Ohio with his parents in the spring of 1853. He was educated in the common schools of Ohio. 
For some time Mr. Fbonizer was a school teacher, and while so engaged, taught the high school at Woodville, Ohio. 

He commenced reading law in the law office of John T. Garver in Fremont, in the fall of 1874, and was admitted to the Bar in Sandusky county in the fall of the year 1877. He has since been 
elected a justice of the peace for Ballville township, which he resigned, and is now engaged in practice at Fremont.  p. 387
Henry R. Finefrock, now an esteemed member of the Bar of Sandusky county, was born at Lancaster, Fairfield county, Ohio, on the i6th day of October, 1837. He was educated in the 
common schools and high school in Lancaster, Ohio. He became an approved and efficient school teacher, and spent some years in that profession in Marion county, Ohio, and perhaps 
in other counties. His brother Thomas P. Finefrock, had been in successful practice for a number of years at Fremont, and while he was a partner with John L. Greene, sr., Mr. Henry R. 
Finefrock studied law with them. 

In 1862, Henry R. Finefrock was admitted to the Bar at Fremont, Ohio, at the April term of the district court. He, however, did not really commence practice as a lawyer until 1867, when 
he located in the city of Fremont, for the purpose of entering into practice. Mr. Finefrock is highly esteemed among the members of the Bar, as an upright, moral man, and an attorney with 
excellent business qualifications. He has rendered good service to the county, and helped much to improve our schools, while acting as a member of the board of examiners of school 
teachers. For this position his accurate learning and his experience as a teacher, gave him good qualifications, and he exercised them happily in advancing the qualifications of our teachers. 
Mr. Finefrock is still in active practice at Fremont, in partnership with Colonel Joseph R. Bartlett. p. 385-386
Thomas P. Finefrock was born at Franklin county, Pennsylvania, January 9, 1826. He came to Ohio and settled in Lancaster, where he studied law with Medill & Whitman. He was 
admitted to the Bar in August, 1851, and came to Fremont and began practice with Brice J. Bartlett in the following September. He soon became well known as a lawyer, and the firm 
became prominent in the legal business of the county. Mr. Finefrock was chosen to the position of prosecuting attorney in 1853, and served two successive terms. In 1857 he was the 
Democratic candidate for representative in the General Assembly, his Republican opponent being Ozias L. Nims, a prominent merchant of Fremont. After a closely contested campaign, 
Mr. Finefrock was elected by a small majority. During the war he took an active interest in politics, being a leader of the ultra-Democratic party. In 1866 he received the Democratic 
nomination for Congress in the Tenth District, but was defeated by General R. P. Buckland, the Republican candidate. His practice from the time he located in the county was large and 
remunerative. In 1874 he was elected judge of the court of common pleas, on the Democratic ticket, and served for the full term of five years, when he again returned to the practice of 
law, entering into partnership with Charles H. Bell, under the firm name of Finefrock & Bell. The firm is now in full practice. He has always maintained the reputation of a good jury lawyer. 
Mr. Finefrock was married in May, 1854, to Miss Emma E. Carter. They have raised a family of children, and reside east of the city.  p. 389  
James H. Fowler is a native of Fremont, Ohio, and was born January 5, 1846. His father was, by birth, an Englishman, and his mother a Pennsylvania German. He attended common 
school and desired more extensive school privileges, but the financial circumstances of his father seemed to forbid. James, however, met these circumstances honorably, by amply 
remunerating his father for the loss of his services, from the time of leaving home — eighteen — to the time of his majority. He taught school for several terms and then learned the printer's 
trade in the office of the Sandusky County Democrat. He enlisted as a private in the One Hundredth Ohio Volunteer Infantry April 24, 1861. He was advanced from the ranks to the first 
lieutenancy. At Limestone Station he was taken prisoner, with many others of his regiment. For four months he suffered the hardships of prison life at Salisbury and Libby, the greater part 
of the time at Libby. While in prison he fell into association with a well-educated Frenchman, who was also a prisoner. Mr. Fowler indicated a desire to learn the French language, and was 
instructed by his fellow prisoner. He was an apt student, and advanced rapidly until the time of his escape, which was really a romantic episode of prison life. The suffering inmates of Libby 
were detailed each day to gather wood to supply the prison. One damp day, while on this dreary mission, a companion and Mr. Fowler made a daring and successful attempt to escape. As 
soon as they reached the woods they speed on their way northward, being aided and guided by negroes. They slept during daylight and travelled at night. Pursuing blood hounds were 
evaded by travelling the rocky beds of streams. At last they safely reached the Union lines at Knoxville, and re-entered the service. At the close of the war he was mustered out with his 
regiment as first lieutenant, and returned to Fremont. He at once began the study of law in the office of Homer Everett, and was admitted to practice August 15, 1876. After a short time of 
practice, he formed a partnership with Mr. Everett, and the firm has been continued without change since that time. Mr. Fowler has a fair knowledge of the French and German languages, 
has a large fund of general information, and by his own individual efforts has earned a good standing among members of the Bar of the county. p. 390-391
John T. Garver was born in Congress,Wayne county, Ohio, July 26, 1848; was educated in the common school and at the academy at Smithville, Ohio; taught school six terms. He

commenced reading law in March, 1846, in the office of Hon. H. G. Blake, at Medina, Ohio, where he remained until September, 1869, when he entered the Ohio State and Union

Law college at Cleveland, where he took a regular course, and from which institution he was graduated on June 29, 1870, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Laws; was admitted to

the Bar by the supreme court of Ohio at Columbus, on March 17, 1870,and in June of the same year he was admitted to practice in the West Salem district and circuit courts at Cleveland.

He commenced the law practice at West Salem, Ohio, in July, 1870, where he remained until May, 1871, when he removed to Fremont, where he has ever since been engaged in the

active practice of his profession. In politics a Democrat, he was elected to the office of solicitor for Fremont in April, 1873 and re-elected to the same office in April, 1876, holding that position

four years. In October, 1877, he was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney of Sandusky county, and re elected in October, 1879, which position he now holds. He has been a member

of the board of teachers' examiners of this county since August 5, 1876, of which board he is now president; was married, in February, 1878, to Miss Sarah E. Gilbert, of Medina county;

and is the father of two children. Mr. Garver has built up a good practice, and is now in partnership with his brother, S. C. Garver. p. 390  

Samuel C. Garver is a native of Wayne county, Ohio, where he was born on the 14th day of May, 1855. Mr. Garver in his early life attended the common schools of his native county, and obtained such instruction as they afforded. After leaving these schools he attended Smithville academy, where he made considerable advancement in the various branches taught in that institution. After leaving the academy Mr. Garver taught school two terms. He commenced the study of the law in the office of Winslow & Garver, at Fremont, Ohio, in the year 1874. After reading two years he took a regular course of study and lectures at the Ohio State and Union Law College at Cleveland, from which he graduated on the 25th day of May, 1876, receiving the degree of LL. D. Mr. Garver was admitted to practice in the several courts of the United States on the 24th day of May, 1876, and about the same time admitted to practice in the courts of the State of Ohio. He has been a member of the law firm of Garver & Garver since his admission, and is still engaged as such in active practice. Mr. Garver is a young man of much energy, and his present developments indicate that he will become a practitioner of good standing in the profession he has chosen. He remains unmarried, but his brothers in the order of "Haugastols" are in great fear that he will soon forsake them for a life of double blessedness.  p. 395

Increase Graves came to Lower Sandusky and began the practice of the law as early as 1821, if not before. He married the daughter of Israel Harring, an early settler, and died 
after about three years of married life, leaving a widow and one child.  p. 379 

John L. Green jr., was born July 7, 1838, and was educated in the common schools of Sandusky county. He learned the printer's trade in the offices of the Fremont Journal and Cleveland Plain Dealer. He studied law under his father and was admitted by the supreme court of Ohio in January, 186 r. He enlisted in company G, Eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, three months service, April, 1861. He enlisted in company D, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry in March, 1862, and was discharged for disability, in January, 1863. He was appointed adjutant of the One hundred and Sixty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry in May, 1864, and discharged in September 1866. He raised company E, One Hundred and Eighty-sixth, in December, 1864, and January, 1865; was discharged September 25, 1865. He was appointed probate judge by Governor Hayes in January, 1869; elected probate judge in October, 1869; served nearly six years on appointment and election. He married Emma Shaw, October 10, 1867, and has four children — three boys and one girl.  p. 396-397 

John L. Greene, sr., was born in St. Lawrence county, New York, July 16, 1806. In August, 1815, he moved with his father's family to Ohio, and located at Newburg, on the Western 
Reserve. He shortly after went to Plattsburg, New York, where he spent two years, and there began the study of the law, under the instruction of his uncle, John Lynde. He spent some time 
in the University of Burlington, Vermont, but was compelled to relinquish his course on account of ill health. 

Returning to Ohio he was soon invited to take charge of an academy at Cleveland, which position he accepted for a short time. While engaged in teaching he still pursued the study of the law, 
under the tuition of Leonard Case. 

After the termination of his engagement in the academy, he gave himself more exclusively to the study of law, and while giving his days to that purpose, employed his evenings in keeping 
the books of the mercantile house of Irad Kelley. 

On the 16th of July, 1828, he was married to Miss Julia L. Castle, of Cleveland. In this year he also engaged in various speculations, by which he accumulated a handsome property. In 1833 
he came to Sandusky county and purchased some fourteen hundred acres of land, and in the spring of the following year moved with his family here. After a failure in mercantile business at 
Greensburg, a village named after him, in Scott township, which failure was caused by the financial crisis of 1836-37, Mr. Greene, in 1840, came to Lower Sandusky and commenced the practice 
of the law. 

His earnings for the first year were forty-five dollars. He had a wife and six children to provide for. At this juncture he received aid from an old Samaritan named Riverius Bidwell. The next 
year his earnings amounted to sixteen hundred and fifty dollars. From this time he had a successful practice until 1855, when he was elected Representative in the General Assembly, by the 
people. In 1861 he was elected judge of the court of common pleas, to fill a vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Hon. Samuel T. Worcester, which position he held until February, 1864, 
at which time he resumed the practice of the law. He afterwards formed a partnership with his son, John L. Greene, jr., in which relation he continued until the time of his death. 

He was the father of eight sons and four daughters. One of his peculiarities was a fondness for horses, and, at the bar, wherever he practiced, he was king of all attorneys where the value, or 
quality, or disease of horses were drawn into litigation. In social life, and as a citizen of good example, public spirit, and liberality, Judge Greene had few superiors in Fremont. The fact that Mr. 
Greene was chosen as a judge and elected to that position by the people of the subdivision of the judicial district in which he resided, fully certifies his ability and standing as a lawyer and a 
man. p. 382-383
Harvey J. Harmon was the second lawyer who settled in Lower Sandusky. Mr. Harmon was a well educated man and a good lawyer, and at one time had considerable practice. He 
loved political discussion, however, and during the latter years of his life gave most of his time and efforts in that direction. He was an ardent Jackson Democrat in the election of 1828, and 
afterward received the appointment of postmaster at Lower Sandusky. Mr. Harmon was father of one daughter, now living, who is the wife of our esteemed citizen. Colonel William E. Haynes. 
This daughter was a small child when her father died. He died in August, 1834, of Asiatic cholera, in Lower Sandusky. The way he contracted the contagious and fatal disease reflects much 
credit on his character as a man and a Mason. There had been no case of cholera in Lower Sandusky, and no thought that it would stray from the great thoroughfare to attack the people of as 
small a village as Lower Sandusky. A small steamboat then plying between Sandusky City and Lower Sandusky, about the 4th of August, 1834, brought a number of passengers and landed 
them about three-quarters of a mile north of where the court-house now stands. Among the passengers were two or three families of German emigrants, who had recently arrived in the United 
States. These people camped out near the landing and did not enter the town. A very respectable stranger in appearance came from the landing in the evening and took lodgings in the Western 
House, then the best hotel in the country and kept by a Mr. Marsh. In the early part of the night this stranger was taken sick, and was in need of help; he inquired of the landlord if there were any 
Free Masons in the place, and was told that Mr. Harmon was reputed to be a member of the order. A messenger was sent to give word and returned with Mr. Harmon, who recognized the 
stranger as a brother in the order. Mr. Harmon stayed with and ministered to him through the night, and until the stranger died early the next day. Harmon was taken with the dread disease 
the following day and died in about twenty-four hours after the attack.  p. 378-379 
George R. Haynes practiced in Sandusky county during the early part of his life. He removed to Toledo where he enjoyed a high reputation as a lawyer and citizen.  p. 391
D. A. Heffner came to Sandusky county with his parents, who settled in York township in 1856. He was born in Union county, Pennsylvania, May 20, 1849. He was educated in the common 
schools and in Hillsdale college, Michigan, where he spent one year — 1869-70. From 1870 to 1875 he taught school in the winter and farmed in the summer. In the spring of 1875 he entered 
the Normal school at Lebanon, Ohio, where he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1877. He then entered the office of J. H. Rhodes and continued two years, teaching school each 
winter. In April, 1879, he was admitted to the Bar by the district court at Fremont. He began to practice in partnership with S. S. Richards in June, 1879. He was married May 27, 1879, to Miss 
Belle Haff, daughter of Hiram Haff, of Townsend town- ship. He is an honorable and worthy member of the Bar.  p. 390

John K. Hord came from Tiffin to Fremont about 1856 or 1857 and began the practice of law. He practiced here successfully a few years, when, on account of ill health, he was induced to remove to Louisiana, and engaged in the management of a sugar plantation. When rebellion was threatened he came North and settled in Buffalo. After a short time he removed to Cleveland, where he has attained a standing in his profession. He is still in practice in Cleveland.   p. 392

John A. Johnson was born in Canfield, Trumbull county at that time, but now in the county of Mahoning. After receiving a fair academic education he studied law in the office of Judge 
Newton, in Canfield. He came to Lower Sandusky and commenced the practice of the law in the latter part of the year 1839. In 1842 he formed a partnership in practice with Cooper K. 
Watson, under the name of Watson & Johnson. This firm had the benefit of Mr. Watson's growing reputation, and for a time did a large legal business. 

In 1842 Mr. Johnson married Almira B. Hafford. In 1849 he left his practice and his family, in Fremont, and, with several other citizens of the place, went, to hunt gold in California, and 
was absent about fifteen months. A few months after his return he sold his farm and residence near the town, and moved to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, where he died many years ago. His 
wife and four children — three sons and one daughter, are still living. 

Mr. Johnson was in every way an exemplary man. While residing in Lower Sandusky he was a member of the Presbyterian church, and acted as its trustee in building the first brick house 
of worship for the society. p. 383-384

John McIntyre Lemmon was born in Townsend township, Sandusky county, Ohio, July 25, 1839, his father being Uriah Blake Lemmon, and his mother Emily A. McIntyre Lemmon. John McIntyre remained with his parents until eighteen years old, and received a common school education. He taught a district school in the winter of 1857-58; attended school at Oberlin college in the summer of 1858; taught again the following winter, and in the spring of 1859 went to Missouri, and began the study of law in the office of Knoll & McIntyre. In November, 1859, he went to Jefferson City, Missouri, and studied with Mr. Knoll, who had been appointed attorney general of the State. In April, 1860, Mr. Lemmon was admitted to the Bar by the supreme court of Missouri, and soon after returned to his home. July 12, i860, his mother died, after a lingering illness. In the winter of 1860-61 Mr Lemmon again taught a district school. April 24, 1861, he enlisted in company F, Eighth Ohio, in the three months' service, and was discharged August 18, 1861. October 9, 1861, Mr. Lemmon again enlisted in company B, Seventy-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and continued in the service until the close of the war; was promoted to second lieutenant May 23, 1862, and to captain July 23, 1863, and was mustered out at Selma, Alabama, June 21, 1865. During part of the war he was on detached duty as judge advocate of a military commission at Memphis, Tennessee. March 29, 1864, Mr. Lemmon was married to Miss Annie Covell, of Perkins, Erie county, Ohio. In December, 1865, he settled in Clyde, and began the practice of his profession. He has met with good success in his practice and has for many years past enjoyed an extensive practice in the State and Federal courts. He has one child living, named Mack, born April 8, 1870. One child, Frank, born October 8, 1865, died November 9, 1867. When the village of Clyde was incorporated, in May, 1866, Mr. Lemmon was chosen its first mayor, and was re-elected in April, 1867. He has never held any other civil office. Mr. Lemmon is one of the most studious, active, and industrious members of the Bar now in practice in the county. He has accumulated money and property by his practice. His library at Clyde consists of fifteen hundred well selected volumes. Mr. Lemmon's energy and industry have brought him into such prominence in the northwest portion of Ohio, that a bright career is opening before him. His practice already extends into Erie, Huron, Ottawa, Seneca, and other counties in northwestern Ohio. He also practices in the circuit, district, and supreme courts of the United States^ as well as the supreme court of Ohio.     p. 392-393

M. B. Lemmon, now an active member of the Sandusky county Bar, located at Clyde, Ohio, was born August 7, 1847, in Townsend township, Sandusky county, and therefore "to the 
manor born." He is the youngest son of Uriah B. Lemmon, one of the pioneers of the county. The subject of this sketch was educated in early life in our common schools, and attended 
quite regularly until 1864, when he volunteered jn the military service of his country a little before coming to the age of eighteen years. He enlisted as a private in company B of the One 
Hundred and Sixty-ninth regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He served with this regiment until it was finally mustered out. On his return young Lemmon determined to obtain a better education 
and to that end promptly entered Hillsdale college at Hillsdale, Michigan, which he attended one year. After leaving Hillsdale, he taught school several terms, after which he began service as 
a railroad engineer, which he followed for a time, and then began reading law. He commenced the study with Stephen A. Powers, esq., at Fremont, in the State of Indiana, and was admitted 
to the Bar September 5, 1876, at Angola, Indiana, and at once went into practice. In March, 1877, he entered into partnership with his brother, John M. Lemmon, of Clyde, and remains an 
active member of the firm. 

He was married October 11, 1871, to Miss Emma T. Stewart, of Fremont, Indiana, and is now the happy father of three children.  p. 386
John B. Loveland was born in New Haven township, Huron county, Ohio, on the 20th day of February, 1827. At the age of nineteen years he left his father's farm for Oberlin College to 
supplement the education picked up in a pioneer district school on the classic Huron River, On the 22d day of August, 1850, he was married to Miss Martha Jane Watts, of New Haven, 
by whom he has had three children. In 1854 he removed to Fremont, Sandusky county, Ohio, to take a position as teacher in the Fremont graded schools. This position he held with credit 
to himself and to the entire satisfaction of all concerned for the term of ten years. From his position in the schools of Fremont he was called to the superintendency of the schools at Bellevue 
and Green Spring respectively, in which position he spent eight years. All this time he was one of the reliable members of the board of county school examiners, in which position he well 
and faithfully discharged the duties of the office for the term of fourteen years. He commenced the study of the law while superintending the schools of Green Spring, with Marcus D. Baldwin, 
esq., and was admitted to the Bar by the district court of Sandusky county al Fremont, Ohio, on the 20th of March, 1876, where he commenced the practice of law, and has continued to 
practice until the present time. Although a member of the legal profession Mr. Loveland does not make the practice of the law a specialty, preferring the retirement of his farm, situated one 
and a half miles southwest of the city. In solid scientific attainments, and in that practical common sense which is the result of learning and original thought, Mr. Loveland has few superiors. 
His father, Mr. John Loveland, one of the oldest pioneers of Huron county, is still in good health at the advanced age of eighty-three years. p,. 388-389
Basil Meek, was born at New Castle, Henry county, Indiana, April 20, 1829. In 1832 he removed with his parents to Wayne county, Indiana. In August, 1841, with his parents, he went to 
Owen county, Indiana, and there resided until September, 1864, when he came to Ohio and settled at Clyde. His school education was that of the common schools. He was married to 
Cynthia A. Brown, in December, 1849, who died August 14, 1861, at Spencer, Owen county, Indiana. By this marriage he had four children, viz. : Minerva B., Mary E., Lenore Belle, and 
Flora B. Mary E., who is the wife of B. R. Dudrow, esq., and Lenore Belle, only, are now living. He was married to Martha E. Anderson, September 30, 1862, by whom he has had two 
children, both living, viz.: Clara C. and Robert C. He served as clerk of the courts of Owen county, Indiana, continuously from February 20, 1854, to February 20, 1862. At the November 
term, 1861, of the Owen county circuit court, he was admitted to the Bar, and formed a law partnership with Hon. Samuel H. Buskirk, practicing at Spencer till his removal to Ohio. In 1871, 
at Clyde, he resumed the practice of law, continuing in the practice until he entered the clerk's office of Sandusky county, February 10, 1879, to which office he was elected in October, 
1878. He is at this time serving as such clerk, and was, at the October election, 1881, re-elected to said office. p. 389
P. O'Farrell was born at Sandusky City, Erie county, Ohio, May 24, 1856. In the spring of i860 he moved with his parents, and settled in Scott township, Sandusky county, Ohio. Here young 
O'Farrell worked on the farm of his father, attending a district school in the winters until the spring of 1871, when he went to the Northwestern Normal School, then located at Republic, 
Seneca county, Ohio, to prepare himself for teaching. The ensuing winter he taught his first school for a term of four months in Montgomery township, Wood county, Ohio. At this time Mr. 
O'Farrell was not sixteen years old, yet he taught with good success, which indicates an aptness to acquire learning which is quite unusual. He continued to teach in the winter, and attend 
school in the summer until he commenced the study of the law, which was in the summer of 1876. He, however, taught the Hessville graded schools when studying, and there closed his 
career as a school teacher in April, 1880. 

In June, 1880, Mr. O'Farrell passed examination under the new rules of the supreme court at Columbus, Ohio, and was there admitted to practice. He was elected a justice of the peace 
for Sandusky township in the spring of 1879, but resigned the office on the 16th of August, 1881. He was appointed a member of the board of county school examiners on the 3d day of 
July, 1881, which office he still creditably fills. 

On the 24th day of May, 1881, Mr. O'Farrell married Miss Catharine O'Connor, daughter of Bryan O'Connor, who is now one of our most popular county commissioners. 

Mr. O'Farrell has fine, natural gifts of perception, memory and language, which, if properly used, will make him a good advocate and lawyer.  p. 387 
Lucius B. Otis was born March 11, 1820, at Montville, Connecticut, and was educated in Ohio at common schools in Berlin, Erie county at Huron Institute, Milan, Ohio; the Norwalk 
Seminary, Norwalk, Ohio, and at Granville College, Granville, Ohio. He commenced the study of law at Norwalk, Ohio, in August, 1839, in the law office of Hon. Thaddeus B. Sturgis and 
John Whitbeck, and during the fall and winter of 1840 and 1841 attended the law school of the Cincinnati College, at Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he graduated in April, 1841. At the August 
term of the Supreme Court, held in Huron county in 1841, he was duly admitted to the Bar as a practicing attorney. On September 1, 1841, he took up his residence in Lower Sandusky, 
Sandusky county, Ohio. For the first year or two he practiced law in partnership with the late Brice J. Bartlett, and subsequently for several years with Hon. Homer Everett. He was married 
to Miss Lydia Ann Arnold, of East Greenwich, Rhode Island, in January, 1844, and has seven children living, four married and well settled in life and the three youngest living with their parents 
at the family home. No. 2011 Michigan avenue, Chicago. At the close of his term of office as judge of the court of common pleas in Ohio, in December, 1856, he removed to Chicago, Illinois, 
which is still his residence. He has never practiced his profession since he took his seat upon the bench as judge in Ohio, in February, 1852. 

When he located in Lower Sandusky, in September, 1841, Mack Bump kept the old historic corner tavern, at which he boarded for a long time at two dollars and a half per week. It 
was a well kept hotel. He recalls the following names as fellow boarders at that time: Elisha W. Howland, Charles O. Tillotson, Dr. Thomas Stilwell, Clark Waggoner, C. G. McCulloch, John 
A. Johnson. That so many are still living after nearly forty years have elapsed is quite remarkable. 

To show how Judge Otis succeeded in life after he left Fremont, we give the following from a correspondent of the Sandusky Register in Chicago, under date of January 11, 1881, which 
details his life with more particularity : 

Judge Lucius B. Otis is a typical Ohioan in physical proportions and mental acquirement. It is often said that sons of Ohio, particularly Northern Ohio, are men of large frame and fine 
physique; whether this is true or not I cannot say, but it certainly is true in this instance, and is true of the family, a numerous one. While L. B. Otis was born in Connecticut, he is essentially 
an Ohio man, having come to the State when two years of age. He comes of rare old New England stock, his father and mother possessing fine native abilities, rare attainments, force of 
character, integrity and many Christian virtues, which qualities were inherited by the subject of this mention in a marked degree. He was born in 1820, and his parents moved to Berlin, Erie 
county, Ohio, in 1822, which has been the home of the family since. Lucius attended the common schools of that place, dividing his time between study and farming, until eighteen years of 
age, when he attended the Huron Institute at Milan, later the Norwalk Institute and Granville College, when he commenced the study of law in Norwalk, with Sturgis & Whitbeck, and attended 
the law school at Cincinnati, returning to Norwalk in 1841, where he was admitted to the Bar by the supreme court. Soon after this he established himself in practice at Lower Sandusky, now 
Fremont; was elected prosecuting attorney in 1842, and re-elected each two years and served until 1850. In 1851, under the new Constitution, he was elected judge of the court of common 
pleas, his circuit comprising the counties of Huron, Erie, Sandusky, Ottawa, and Lucas, and involved a vast amount of work, often holding court ten months of the year, besides sitting as one 
of the district judges. In 1850, with Sardis Birchard, he established the banking house of Birchard & Otis, at Fremont, which enterprise proved a decided success, and in 1864 developed into 
the First National Bank of Fremont. At the expiration of his judgeship, in 1856, having accumulated considerable means and believing Chicago was destined to become the great metropolis 
of the West, he moved here in December of the same year, and at once began operating in real estate, buying, building, and renting; exercising that tact, sagacity, and judgment which had 
previously characterized his course, and have to this day, and he has become one of our largest real estate owners and among our most enterprising and successful business men. One 
of the finest and most conspicuous marble front blocks, known as the "Otis Block," is owned by him and his brother James. 

He was a large property owner before the fire, and being in the burnt district, his property was nearly ail destroyed, but, being well insured in responsible companies, he was not as heavy 
a loser as many, and was able to rebuild and almost wholly replace his buildings with new ones of a much better class. He was president of the Grand Pacific Hotel Company, and 
superintended the finances when it was rebuilt after the fire, and had a general supervision of its building. Among the many responsible positions he has been called upon to fill, financial 
and otherwise, is that of receiver of the insolvent State Savings Institution, which had a deposit account at the time of failure of over four million dollars, to the credit of poor people almost 
wholly. The court sought to protect this vast interest and save as large a per cent, as possible to the depositors, and to accomplish this object selected Judge L. B. Otis for receiver, knowing 
his eminent fitness for such duty. He has more than met the expectations of both court and depositors. He has realized on the real estate assets a full quarter of a million dollars more than 
almost any other man could have done, and will be able to pay over forty per cent., in place of fifteen or twenty, which was only looked for,hardly expected. This is the result of his sagacious 
management of the assets. His bond is two million dollars, signed by ten of the best men in the city. I instance this fact to indicate to his former friends and neighbors the kind of man Erie 
county has furnished Chicago. His name is identified with some of our best corners, as to property, and our best institutions of all descriptions. 

He is one of our most prominent citizens, and his fine and varied literary attainments and refined social qualities make him a most agreeable and edifying member of the social circle. 
He has a large library, filled with a choice collection of books. He is a lawyer of the highest standing in the profession; has not been an office seeker, though office has often sought him, 
but, being a Democrat, his friends have been unable to put him in high State positions (for which he was fitted) in this Republican stronghold. He supported Lincoln both terms, but has 
returned to his first love, no doubt being conscientious in his views and belief. In religion he is an Episcopalian, and a noble layman in the matter of expounding the laws and canons of 
that church. 

In 1873 and 1874, with a portion of his family, he visited Great Britain and the Continent, making an extensive tour. He was married in 1844, and has had eight children, seven of whom 
are now living. His wife is an estimable lady. His sons are among our prominent business men, engaged in banking and other business. Ohio, and Erie county in particular, may point with 
pride to Judge L. B. Otis as one of her sons.  p. 381-382
Hiram R. Pettibone was born in Granville, Connecticut, on the 20th of May, 1795. In 1830 he served one term in the Legislature of his native State. He studied law with Judge 
Fouscey, of great repute in that State as a jurist. He came to Lower Sandusky and entered the practice of the law in the year 1835, and was a popular and successful practitioner until 
1849, when he removed to Wisconsin, where he still resides with his son Chauncy. While residing here Mr. Pettibone enjoyed the high esteem of the moral and intellectual portion of our 
people. In practice he was faithful to his clients, and was engaged in many of the important Cases tried in the county. While practicing law in Lower Sandusky Mr. Pettibone and his wife 
reared and fitted for useful lives a family, consisting of Mr. Chauncy Pettibone, who was an accomplished business man at an early age, and was at one. time a partner in the mercantile 
business at Lower Sandusky with Mr. James Vallette. His eldest daughter, Delia, married Austin B. Taylor, one of our early and successful merchants, and a man of ability in business circles. 
His second daughter, Harriet, was married to C. G. McCulioch, an early druggist of Lower Sandusky, but now of Chicago. A son, Milo, and son William, were next in order of age. Then a 
daughter, Jane, who married Dr. Kramer, of Sandusky City; a son, Alfred, now residing in Ripon, Wisconsin. Dr. Sardis B. Taylor, now practicing medicine in Fremont, is a grandson of Lower 
Sandusky's early and able lawyer, Hiram R. Pettibone. This venerable member of the Bar of Sandusky county is now eighty-six years of age, and comfortably enjoying the sunset of life 
with his oldest son, Chauncy, an active and successful merchant at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. p. 380

After or about the time Mr. Pettibone settled in the practice of the law at Lower Sandusky, came Asa Calkins, Peter Yates, W. W. Culver, and William W. Ainger. Little of the history of 
these men can now be gathered. They are either long ago dead, or in other States, and in unknown locations, excepting William W. Culver, who, at last accounts, was still living and 
resides at Penn Yan, New York. But the means of giving his birthplace, where he was educated, and where he studied his profession, are not at hand. Mr. Culver was prosecuting attorney 
for the county, being appointed first in 1839, and continued four successive years. In his addresses to a popular assembly, or to a jury, Mr. Culver exhibited wonderful brilliancy and acumen 
and always commanded the close attention of the jury and the court, and if not always right in his views of the law, or his deductions from facts in the testimony of a cau:e, he was always 
listened to with interest and pleasure by all who heard him. Mr. Culver left the practice about 1847, and afterwards went to California where he taught school. He accumulated considerable 
property, and finally settled with a sister in Penn Yan, New York.  p. 380

Alpheus P. Putnam was born in Wyandot county, Ohio, in 1837. At the organization of the Seventy-second he enlisted, and was wounded at the battle of Shiloh. He rose in rank from private to captain. After the war he studied law in the office of T. P. Finefrock and was admitted to the Bar in April, 1867, and practiced in Fremont till the time of his death. He was prosecuting attorney four years.  p. 392

Hezekiah Remsburg was born in Hagerstown, Maryland, February 2, 1812; emigrated with his father to Lower Sandusky, arriving at the latter place on the 11th day of March, 1822. His education was in the common school after he came to Ohio, and began in the first school house built between the Sandusky River and the Maumee. The house was a rude log structure which stood on the east bank of Muskalonge Creek and north of the Maumee and Western Reserve turn-pike, and was probably erected about the year 1825. Mr. Remsburg helped his father to clear off a fine farm on Muskalonge Creek, south of the turnpike above mentioned and adjoining it. The father of Mr. Remsburg was a mechanic, whose services were in much demand as a millwright, and the son learned the trade by working with his father in the preparation of the mills which were built in an early period in different parts of the county. Young Remsburg inherited his father's mechanical talent, and afterwards worked at various mechanical jobs when his services on the farm could be dispensed with. Thus he passed his time, and also began the study of law in 1849, under the tuition of Judge John L. Green, sr., now deceased. He was admitted to the Bar at Fremont in the year 1851, and has ever since practiced law, and is now so engaged. He was elected prosecuting attorney for Sandusky county, and performed the duties of that office four successive years with ability and diligence. Mr. Remsburg has been married, and has raised to manhood four sons now living, and has now been a widower for over ten years. He is a well preserved man, of good habits, and bids fair to be strong and active for many years to come.   p. 393-394

John H. Rhodes, now in practice in our courts, and residing in Clyde, in the eastern part of the county, was born in February, 1836, in Westfield township, then Delaware, but now Morrow 
county, Ohio. He was educated at Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio. 

Mr. Rhodes commenced the study of the law in the year 1860, with O. D. Morrison, at Cardington, Ohio, and completed his study under the teaching of Homer Everett, of Fremont, Ohio, 
in the year 1870. At the April term of the district court of Sandusky county, he was admitted to practice and at once opened an office at Clyde, Ohio, where he has since done, and still is 
doing a good business. 

Mr. Rhodes was married on the 28th day of December, 1867, in Brooklyn, New York, to Miss May Antoinette Brown, also a graduate of the Ohio Wesleyan University. They now have a happy 
family of three children. 

Mr. Rhodes served a term as Representative of Morrow county in the General Assembly of Ohio. He had also served in the Union army in the War of the Rebellion, having volunteered. 

In purity of lite, in gentlemanly conduct and courtesy, and in pleasing manners. Colonel Rhodes has no superior in the Sandusky county bar. As a lawyer, he ranks well and is a good and 
faithful attorney. 

Mr. Rhodes enlisted as a private in company B, of the Forty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in 1861. He served with his regiment through the entire war, being mustered out as lieutenant-
colonel. He was promoted in obedience to the desire of the officers and men of his own regiment. After returning from his honorable service in the army, the people of Morrow county elected 
him to represent them in the General Assembly for the sessions of 1866-67. He filled the office with satisfaction to the people and credit to himself.  p. 385-386 
S. S. Richards is a native of Townsend township, this county, and was born August 8, 1857.  He was educated in Clyde, and graduated from the high school of that
place in 1875.  Just after graduating he went to California, where he spent about one year.  Returning, he began the study of law in the office of Basil Meek, at Clyde,
in the fall of 1876.  He was admitted to the Bar by the supreme court at Columbus in the spring of 1879, and immediately opened an office at Clyde.  In June, 1879,
he formed a partnership with D. A. Heffner for the practice of the profession, which partnership still continues.  Mr. Richards is a promising young member of the Bar.
p. 390

Merritt L. Snyder was born at the farm of his father, George N. Snyder, esq., in Scott township, Sandusky county, Ohio, on the 8th day of January, 1838. He was educated at the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, where he remained three years, having previously attended the common school of his township. After leaving Delaware he became a school teacher and taught twelve terms, and was a faithful and efficient teacher. In 1860 he began the study of the law in the law office of Hon. Judge T. P. Finefrock, at Fremont, Ohio. He then went to Fort Wayne, in the State of Indiana, where he was admitted to the Bar in May, 1864. After his admission he returned to Fremont, Ohio, and shortly after that, in May, 1864, removed west and located at Holton, Jackson county, Kansas, where he at once commenced the practice of his profession. While in Kansas Mr. Snyder acquired a good standing as a lawyer, and for three consecutive years was chosen prosecutor for Jackson county, and also held the office of clerk of the courts. He left Kansas on the 12th of November, 1874, on his return to his former home, arriving at Fremont, Ohio, on the 18th of the same month, and at once entered upon the practice of the law in the same city where he had received his instruction in the science of the law, where he has ever since and still is engaged in the practice of his profession. He was married to Miss Susan Boland, of Sandusky county, on the 14th day of June, 1866, who has proved a faithful and devoted wife, and with whom he still lives, having three children living to cheer and beautify their home. Mr. Synder is a fair lawyer, an ingenious advocate, and a kind-hearted and courteous gentleman in his intercourse with men and in his practice at the Bar.  p. 394-395


Morris Elbert Tyler was born November 16, 1836, at Lower Sandusky. His father was Captain Morris Tyler, and his mother Sophia (Bristol) Tyler. He attended the common schools of his native place until qualified to enter Kenyon college, at Gambier, Ohio, where he graduated. He began the study of law in the winter of 1853-54, in the office of Buckland & Everett, at Fremont, and was admitted to the Bar in 1857. He at once opened an office in what is known as Buckland's old block, in Fremont. In the summer of 1861 he volunteered in company F, of the Forty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was made first lieutenant. Afterwards Lieutenant Tyler was promoted and commissioned as captain of company I, of the same regiment. Captain Tyler is naturally a brave man and soon after entering the service became a good soldier. On the 24th day of July, 1864, while fighting in front of Atlanta, Georgia, he received a severe wound from a rifle ball, which struck him in the mouth, knocking out some of his front teeth, and passing into the roof of his mouth pnssed on and out behind his left ear. This wound was received, it will be noticed, just two days after General McPherson fell, he being killed on the 22d day of July, 1864. Captain Tyler, on the 24th day of November, 1864, was honorably mustered out of the service on account of the disability resulting from this wound. On returning to Fremont he was for some time engaged as assistant editor of the Democratic Messenger. Captain Tyler was elected justice of the peace soon after he began practice in 1859, and has since held that office, with the exception of the time spent in the military service of the country, and as a civil officer is as good and true as he was faithful and brave in the army of the Union.  p. 393 

Cooper K. Watson came to Lower Sandusky to attend court occasionally as early as 1841. He had studied law in Marion, Ohio, and recently been admitted to the Bar. At that time he was 
a man of unusually clear and quick perception of legal principles and with great argumentative power. He assisted in the prosecution of Sperry for the murder of his wife, and his management 
of the case, and especially his argument to the jury, at once placed him in a high position in his profession, which he maintained through life. Of his birthplace, parentage, and early life, we are 
not informed. 

Mr. Watson served two successive terms in the House of Representatives in Congress, being first elected in 1856, and after he had become a resident of Tiffin, in Seneca county, having 
changed his residence about the year 1850. Subsequently he located and practiced his profession in Sandusky. After the death of Judge Lane, of Sandusky, he was appointed to fill the 
vacancy in the judgeship of the court of common pleas, and was twice elected to the office, in which he continued until his death, in 1880. He was buried in the cemetery at Sandusky, and his 
funeral was attended by a large concourse of people, including judges and lawyers from various distant parts of the State, also a large concourse of Knights Templar, of which order he was a 
prominent member.  p. 383
Ernest B. Williams is a native of Salem, Oregon, and was born February 15, 1853; was educated at Willamette University, Oregon; studied law at Portland, Oregon, with W. W. Thayer, 
now Governor, and was admitted to practice by the supreme court of the State, in August, 1874. He began practice at Salem immediately after his admission, and came to Fremont, Ohio, 
in May, 1880. He shortly after entered into partnership with M. D. Baldwin, who has since removed from the county, and Mr. Williams is now practicing alone.  p. 391

Hiram W. Winslow began practice in Bellevue, but afterwards removed to Fremont about 1860. He was a good advocate and ranked well as an attorney. He was elected prosecuting attorney in 1864, and served two years. He afterwards represented the county in the legislature. He was for a time the law partner of Judge J. L. Green, sr. While in the General Assembly his eyesight failed entirely, but he continued in practice with the assistance of a guide. His health finally failed, and after a protracted sickness he died. Mr. Winslow never married, nor had he any relatives in this vicinity. During his last sickness, however, he was kindly cared for by personal and professional friends.  p. 392

Wilbur G. Zeigler is the son of Henry Zeigler, formerly a prominent merchant and business man of Fremont, who, after the war, located in the South with his family, and returned a few years 
ago, bringing his son Wilbur with him to Fremont. 

Wilbur G. was born at Fremont, Ohio. While in the South, he, though comparatively a young man, displayed unusual literary ability in his correspondence with various newspapers, which 
marked him for a literary career. For some time he read law with Henry McKinney, now judge, in Cleveland, Ohio. However, he came back to Fremont, and finished his legal studies in the 
office of Ralph P. & Horace S. Buckland. He was admitted to practice under the lately established rules, in the supreme court at Columbus, in March, 1887.

Mr. Zeigler was educated in the public schools of Fremont, graduating in the high school in the class of 1876. On his admission to the Bar, Mr. Zeigler at once entered upon the practice of 
his profession and was received into partnership with the Bucklands, with whom he had finished his studies. He i# unmarried, but his future career is full of promise whether he shall devote 
himself exclusively to his profession, or strike off into a literary career. p. 386-387